Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My divorce was settled and signed by a judge in August 2016.

Customer Question
My divorce was settled...

My divorce was settled and signed by a judge in August 2016. My ex-husband had not signed the QDROs dividing the 401Ks and retirement. In October 2017 a motion was provided to the court requesting the documents be signed and requesting legal fees ($6800).

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes. He signed the QDROs. I am being told I can only recover $2800 yet my recent attorney fees are more than $5000.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I fulfilled my obligations on the divorce agreement. My exhusband did not which is why the motion needed to be submitted. Shouldn't he be responsible for my attorney fees.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/9/2017
Family Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Seattle Scott

Frequently a judge will order "reasonable attorney fees" be paid by the party whose conduct caused the fees to be incurred, rather than order the payment of actual attorney fees. In your case the judge decided that $6800 was excessive and only ordered ex to pay $2800. You can ask your lawyer to discount his/her fees given the judge's decision.

It takes really horrible intentional bad conduct to get an actual fee award. Here your ex just dragged his feet. Without knowing the particulars, $6800 seems high to me, this seems more like a $3,000 project.