Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have the following provision in a child custody and

I have the following...

I have the following provision in a child custody and support judgement:

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED, ADJUDGED AND DECREED BY THE COURT
that the parties shall comply with the provisions of R.S.Mo. Section 452.377.11 regarding
relocation of the principal residence of the child. The parties are hereby ordered to comply with
the following directives:
Absent exigent circumstances as determined by a court with jurisdiction, you, as a party
to this action, are ordered to notify, in writing by certified mail, return receipt requested, and at
least sixty (60) days prior to the proposed relocation, each party to this action of any proposed
relocation of the principal residence of the child, including the following information:
1. The intended new residence, including the specific address and mailing
address, if known, and if not known, the city;
2. The home telephone number of the new residence, if known;
3. The date of the intended move or proposed relocation;
4. A brief statement of the specific reasons for the proposed relocation of the
child; and
5. A proposal for a revised schedule of custody or visitation with the child.
Your obligation to provide this information to each party continues as long as you or any
other party by virtue of this order is entitled to custody of a child covered by this order. Your
failure to obey the order of this court regarding the proposed relocation may result in further
litigation to enforce such order, including contempt of court. In addition, your failure to notify a
party of a relocation of the child may be considered in a proceeding to modify custody or
visitation with the child. Reasonable costs ad attorney fees may be assessed against you if you
fail to give the required notice.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Missorui

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not about this

I am applying for a promotion in my company that would require relocation and if I send this certified letter, but don't get the job or change my mind what happens? Currently, I have sole legal and physical custody and visitation is at my discretion.
Will I be opening a can of worms, if you will, that can not be closed by sending this letter?
Here is a copy of the order.
11/9/2017
Longhorn Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: In the realm of possibility, it could be opening a can of worms to the extent that it might result in the opposing party trying to restart custody proceedings "in the best interests of the child."

But practically speaking, in terms of your options when you change your mind or you are not successful in getting the promotion, you can always inform the court that you are no longer intending or seeking to relocate. In other words, simply informing the court of this does not bind you to have to relocate. If you choose not to or it becomes a moot point, you simply inform the court that you want to withdraw the notice, since you are no longer planning to relocate.

In the notice, it would be wise to reserve the right to change your mind or withdraw the notice, should the circumstances require it.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Longhorn Lawyer
I have sole legal and physical custody and he has no visitation and has no seen his son since trial. After the judgment, he said he did not want to be involved and I accepted that. He, of course, did not mean it, but I have him stating that in emails and text messages. How likely would this be to change my current order and will submitting the letter open that door, even if I withdrew my relocation?