Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

This situation involves a deadbeaf parent who quit their job…

Customer Question
This situation involves a deadbeaf...
This situation involves a deadbeaf parent who quit their job to become an independent contractor to avoid court monitoring. Deadbeat parent convinced the court that they are unemployed and broke-court bought it. A year-long investigation uncovered considerable evidence deadbeat parent has been working all along, making multiples of their previous income. When deadbeat parent realizes they were about to be outed, deadbeat parent arranged to be "hired" by a client for a nominal salary that in no way reflects actual earnings. Deadbeat submits pay stubs that look very suspicious and contain many errors. One of the anomalies is a wage garnishment For a set amount. Wage garnishment appears on every one of the "alleged" stubs from first one issued. Deadbeat was not on the books for a year. Shortly after hire, resumed child support payments in the same amount as garnishment. Payments to other spouse (through state) show payments made through deadbeat's debit card. This was how deadbeat made payments through previous employer, not through a court ordered garnishment. Deadbeat has excellent credit and millions in assets (accidentlally uncovered through ongoing investigation.Questions: is it possible to be garnished from paycheck #1? Or does it take several paychecks for this to occur? The paycheck stubs are obviously dummied-is deadbeat trying to further reduce his net worth by showing the child support being deducted from pay when it's obviously being made by debit card?Any thoughts or ideas about what's going on here are welcome. Thanks!
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 2 days by:
11/11/2017
Family Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Seattle Scott

Paycheck garnishment takes the non-exempt amount, which is usually 25% of net pay, from each check until the debt is paid - could be over several months or years. If the current garnishment deduction is real and for another creditor, there may be nothing left - no non-exempt pay left to garnish for you. Or the "garnishment" might be fake in a deal done with the employer.

If Deadbeat has millions in assets, it might be better to go after assets with a writ of execution if personal property - cars/ boats etc. or if the assets are deposit accounts they can be garnished as a lump sum no 25% limitation.