Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need a good family law lawyer for a divorce/custody case.

I need a good...

I need a good family law lawyer for a divorce/custody case. What is a typical retainer and typical cost overall? Are there any lawyers that will allow payments over time?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Family Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

I filed several years ago and we agreed to put the case in "limbo" . I started the case up again and had to have a judge make him move out of the house. He had a stroke and I dropped everything. Now I just need to start over and get it done this time but I'm ashamed to start it over because of how long it lingered in court the first time. I am concerned that this will look really bad on my part.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

IN

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm broke. I no longer have a savings. I can not afford my home any longer and I am concerned about being able to pay for a good lawyer.

11/9/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The typical retainer on a divorce case depends on whether it will be contested or uncontested. Contested a retainer can be about $5000. Uncontested usually $1500.

Just because you put the case into limbo and made some attempt to reconcile is not going to make you look bad. In fact, it makes it look like you tried to make it work and it was not your fault. If you cannot find an attorney you can afford though, you can go into legal aid and they can usually assist with low cost services or the IN Bar can assist by a list of pro bono or low income attorneys in the area where you live who could assist you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.