Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Husband lives in south Carolina. He pays child support for a…

Customer Question
Husband lives in south...

Husband lives in south Carolina. He pays child support for a daughter born out wed-lock. How do you start legitimation for visitation rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/8/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. It would start by petitioning the court and ask for it. This would need to be filed in the county where the child resides with the mother and your husband can ask for it, based upon the best interest of the child. Ideally, the mother would work with him and allow it but if she refuses, he would need to file and proceed through the court, so it can be ordered.

When filing, are there supporting documents that we would need?
Do we have to have a address for her?

Yes, you would. She will need to be served, so it would need to be known where she lives. A process server could run a skip trace and try and find it. You can speak with the clerk of court in the family division and see if they have the forms for you to fill out and file, to start the process and what you are provided, is what would be needed to start the process.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!