Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If the mother of two children has a court hearing in another…

If the mother of...

If the mother of two children has a court hearing in another state to determine if she will be granted custody of her two kids but is 8.5 months pregnant and cannot travel at this time, does she have a right to request that another date be set up so that she will be able to attend the hearing. The mother is in Washington state and the hearing is in Minnesota. She has told the social worker in Minnesota that she cannot travel at this time but they did not change the date.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

She has a public defender who is supposed to return her call tomorrow.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think so unless she needs more information before she can answer the question

11/7/2017
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Hello:

She must file a Request for a Continuance in WRITING. Phone calls are not sufficient.

She needs to send the written request for the continuance to the court and copy the other parties.

If she can get a medical repot from her health care provider that she should not travel and attach that to the request that would be very helpful to her.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Thank you. I will let her know. Does she have a legal right to change the date if she has a medical reason. And should she send this certified to make sure that it gets to them.