Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was divorced in 2010. Our divorce agreement stated that I

received alimony (non-modifiable) for 8...
I was divorced in 2010. Our divorce agreement stated that I received alimony (non-modifiable) for 8 years. But I reserved the right to request that the court extend that period of time, based on the law at the time of our divorce. I have attached that portion of our divorce settlement.Can you tell me what criteria the law uses to determine the length and amount of alimony, based on the law in force in September, 2010?
11/7/2017
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. A court considers "all the factors necessary for a fair and equitable award." The statute's considers the following:

• the ability of the spouse who wants alimony to be self-supporting
  • how much time it will take the spouse who wants alimony to get the training or education necessary to find suitable employment
  • the couple's standard of living while married
  • the length of the marriage
  • the contributions of each spouse to the family, whether those contributions were monetary or took another form
  • the circumstances that led to the end of the marriage
  • each spouse's age
  • each spouse's physical and mental condition
  • the ability of the spouse from whom alimony is sought to meet his or her own needs while paying alimony
  • any agreement the spouses have made regarding alimony
  • the financial needs and resources of each spouse, including their income, assets, retirement benefits, debts, and property awarded in the divorce, and
  • whether awarding alimony would cause the spouse from whom it is sought to become eligible for medical assistance earlier (this factor applies only if the spouse is a resident of certain types of care facilities).

https://www.divorcenet.com/states/maryland/mdfaq_08 I hope that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. It doesn't cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively (3 or more stars). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, Olivia. Can you send me a references to the actual laws that were relevant in 2010?

Sure. This is the link to the statute: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gfl&section=11-106&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5 It's §11–106.

If you could take a moment to submit a rating (3 to 5 stars) I would appreciate it. 5 stars is always appreciated :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great. Can you confirm that this is indeed that law that was current in 2010?

I'm sorry - I don't have a way of comparing old with current statutes but I can tell you that those standards haven't changed in a very long time and are typical just about everywhere. You don't really need a citation because every judge is aware of these factors. I hope that helps!

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want citations because my ex is an attorney and is quite a bully. Facts and information always help me to communicate with him. Thank you for your assistance.

It's my pleasure. A bully attorney is the worst! But just know that judges see that too...

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney