Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I want to remarry. My wife is 10 years younger than me. I am…

Customer Question
I want to remarry...

I want to remarry. My wife is 10 years younger than me. I am 72. I will surely die before here. How can I protect here from being financially responsible for my medical bills. I have medicare and will have VA medical.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No I am thinking about the future only.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I am thinking about the future only.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/7/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I want to remarry

.

I need to ask a few questions before I comment...

.

1. Are you not currently married? Or are you saying you want to divorce and marry someone else?

.

2. Are you in relatively good health, or do you see assisted living in the next 5 years or less?

.

3. Do you have assets that you would like to protect and pass down?

.

4. What state is this in?

.

.

.thanks

I am not married
WE are both in good health
WE have no assets. but she has some money that I want her to be able to keep. especially if “I” get sick. I have medicare and will try to seek VA care
We live in Texas. ( My parents lived in WVa and I saw ALL. of their assets get eaten alive with hospital and medical bills before there death)
Thanks

Ok, TX is a community property state so if you incur bills, they are both of your bills if you are married.

.

The way you can protect her assets would be for her to put them in an irrevocable trust set up to provide assets for her care and maintenance.

.

That way creditors couldn't get at those assets because legally she wouldn't own them, the trust does.

.

But any debts or bills that are incurred while married are marital debts and both spouses are liable for them.. So there is not any way around that as it is the way the law is in TX.

.

And it is a very good idea to take action now, before getting married and anything occurs, so you are wise to plan ahead..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer