Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My mamaw and papa have had custody of me all my life am I…

Customer Question
My mamaw and papa...

My mamaw and papa have had custody of me all my life am I considered their child.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have your mama and papa taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are my legal guardians and have both passed away recently and I'm not sure what I'm entitled to from their estate?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/7/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You would only be considered their child if they legally adopted you. You call them "maw maw and papa" if they were your blood grandparents, you could inherit without a will only if your actual biological parent that was their child has died.

If they legally adopted you, which you would have to determine by checking your birth certificate and court records for adoption records. Absent adoption records or a written will, you would not have inheritance rights just because they had custody of you all this time.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.