Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can my assets be touched if my domestic partner has to enter…

Can my assets be...

Can my assets be touched if my domestic partner has to enter a care facility with Medicaid?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No steps. Asking for a future possibility.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

The partnership was certified in NY, but now we live in IL.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to know any obligation or vulnerability I would have in both states due to his failing health and lack of resources.

11/7/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under federal law and medicaid rules, domestic partnership has no meaning. This means that your assets would not be at risk for your partner needing care. HOWEVER, if you have your assets pooled in joint accounts or have both names on property or other assets, those assets could be in jeopardy up to your partner's share in the asset. So in that regard your assets could be used or impaired. However, if everything is in your name only and her property is in her name only, your property would be secure.

If you have property in joint tenancy though, medicaid looks at and counts that property.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you. This is what I thought.

Thank you.

Thanks very much. Your information seems helpful.

Thank you.