Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I marriage a divorce man few years ago. I am now ready to…

Customer Question
I marriage a divorce...

I marriage a divorce man few years ago . I am now ready to marriage again, but when I applied for my marriage license they told me that my first husband divorce was n't finalize ,that I had marriage a bigamy. it wasn't my fault. His first marriage occurred in the state of Florida, Our marriage occurred in Rockford TX. Can you help me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think I should have to be the one to get a divorce , it wasn't my fault

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/5/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, bigamy occurs when one party knew or reasonably should have known that the other party was married. A bigamy charge has to come from the government and they have to prove that you knew or should have known your significant other was not divorced officially. In your case, if your first husband told you that he was divorced and you had no other reason to believe that he was not divorced, then it is highly improbable that you would have be in any trouble.. However, it is imperative that your husband get a divorce as soon as possible to help eliminate any charges from the state.

What other questions did you have for me?

ARE THERE ANY FORTMS THAT I CAN SEND IN TO FREE MYSELF FROM THIS ORDEAL?

No. There are no forms for this, unfortunately, I'm very sorry. If your first husband is still living, then you may be able to refer his case to the District Attorney in the state where he lives advising that he engaged in bigamy. What other questions did you have for me?

Keep in mind that although he was a bigamist, if you got divorced from him and it was official, you're free to marry.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer