Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Family Law Questions regarding divorce/name change/adoption,

Family Law Questions regarding...

Family Law Questions regarding divorce/name change/adoption

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

11/4/2017
socrateaser, Lawyer

What are your questions?

I am currently married, my step father would like to adopt me, if my husband and I were to get divorced would my maiden name then become my adopted name?

Okay, thanks.

If your step father adopts you under your married name, then that would be your legal name, unless you later petition the court for a name change. If you divorce, you can ask the court to restore your maiden name, so there would be no requirement to file a separate name change petition.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Note: I don't participate in the phone call option. Another contributor may accept your request. Regardless, I will be happy to continue assisting you here.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

In case you missed my answer:

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Without stirring the pot too much at home, is there a way my stepfather can adopt me and my name will go to his last name when I divorce my husband?
I'm planning to begin divorce proceedings next year, but as I'm in school and will have my degree completed before beginning divorce proceedings I'm trying to figure out a way to have my preferred last name on my degree without having to go through a ton of nonsense in the middle of filing for divorce.

You can ask the family court during divorce to grant you a name change to whatever name you choose.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!