Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Does temporary restraining order stay on record forever. New…

Customer Question
Does temporary restraining order...

Does temporary restraining order stay on record forever

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New jersey i dissolve the order and sign the paper

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Court granted TRO and issued final order hearing i dissolved it on the court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if the order stay on his record forever and if so, anyway to remove it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
11/3/2017
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Is this an order granted by a civil judge or was it part of a criminal case?

no i don't think it's criminal case, it says "threating", i remember it's granted by civil judge

Thank you. If it's a civil court order, then it will not turn up on a fingerprint check as part of his record. Only criminal cases would do that. However, there would be a record of this in the court files, and it could be found by anyone who would know to look for it.

In order to seal it, you would have to petition the judge who issued it. That judge would have to balance your privacy interests against the public's right to know and the state's preference for public records. With a good argument, however, it can be done.