Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I moved in with a friend into her mother's basement. Have…

Customer Question
Hello, I moved...

Hello, I moved in with a friend into her mother's basement. Have been there for almost 2 years. The family had a fight ...mother kicked out daughter but said I could stay. 48 hours later daughter says I have 2 wks to move out , Mother is not wanting to get in the middle, and is the sole owner of the house. Neither of us have a written agreement. Where do I stand? Can they just kick me out in the cold? or do they have to give me written notice and for how long?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not yet, But if they harm my dog while at work I am thinking about a restraining order

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/2/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did you both move into the mother's house at the same time or did you move in later after the friend moved in?

.

.

thanks

at the same time

Ok, then friend is not your landlord, the mother is. And only she can terminate your tenancy and evict you if she wants you out. So if she did want to do so, mother would have to give you a written 30 day notice to vacate and then file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment and a writ that the sheriff would execute to force you to leave. That takes around a month after the 30 day expires..

.

So legally, if the mother wanted you out, it would take around 2 months before she could force you to leave.

.

.

thanks

did you get my answer? we moved in at the same time

.

.

.

thanks

Thank you!

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much