Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am divorced. And in our separation agreement, which

I am divorced. And...

I am divorced. And in our separation agreement, which carried over to our divorce, my Xagreed to continue paying for a life insurance policy on me. We had had the policy for about 35 years. She paid it for one year after our divorce and then let it lapse. She didn't tell me until this past summer or about 4yrs. after our divorce. And she only told me then because I asked. Strangely enough she was the beneficiary of the policy. Can I sue her in any way to make up for the money she has cost my estate in then end?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She is in PA and I live in SC

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I talked to a lawyer here and he informed me that I would have to use a PA lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No really. That is basically a brief description but it pretty much tells it like it is.

11/1/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You could file motion for contempt here if she failed to follow the decree/settlement.You have to file it where the divorce was filed.She can be fined here and jailed and forced to open another life policy and pay for it.Not sure if this is worth it to you, only you can decide that.You would need lawyer to file for contempt.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

Thanks for rating 5 stars and have a Happy Halloween.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer