Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My grandsons have been legally adopted by their paternal

Customer Question
grandparents, and they are not...
my grandsons have been legally adopted by their paternal grandparents, and they are not allowing me to talk to them or see them, what can i do
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing other than that i have been trying to call, and get no response, other than text messages that are nasty, and i cannot get through at all
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
10/28/2017
Family Lawyer: jb156200, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Minnesota does have both statutory laws and common laws that allow grandparents to seek visitation rights. According to Minnesota law, visitation rights for grandparents are an extension of the parent rights of their own children. Therefore, if the child of the grandparents loses parental rights, then the grandparents also may have no visitation rights.

In addition, visitation rights can be difficult for grandparents if the parents of the child object.

While the courts in Minnesota are typically reluctant to make exceptions to these laws that would undermine a family, there are some potential considerations that might give grandparents visitation rights.

• The parent who is the grandparents’ child is deceased
  • There is a proceeding for custody, separation, annulment, parentage, or dissolution
  • The child has lived with the grandparents for a period of at least twelve months total (months do not have to be consecutive)

Visitation for grandparents is not necessarily guaranteed in these cases. The courts will need to consider several factors before granting these rights. For example, the courts will need to determine if the visitation would be in the best interest of the children.

It also will consider whether or not granting visitation to the grandparents would affect the relationship between the children and the parents.

Was this information helpful?

I have not heard back from you. Do you have an additional question?

jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer