Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Had a case to establish paternity for my child. the case was

Customer Question
ordered on dismissal for want...
had a case to establish paternity for my child. the case was ordered on dismissal for want of prosecution without prejudice. This case was made in 2002 and my son is now 30 yrs but also disabled.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i want to reopen the case as his father still does not want to help and now that i am also disabled i need to income to help him.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/26/2017
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

What is your legal question I can help with tonight?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this was filed in texas and i want to know if i can reopen the case to establish paternity.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i am not gonna call you just answer yes or no. if that's too much for you then release the question to another expert...

I don't do the phone call thing, those offers are automatically generated... Just a couple minutes please..

.

.

thanks

Ok, unlike many states, TX doesn't have a statute of limitations for determining paternity, even after the child is an adult..

.

See TX Family Code 160.606 No Time Limitation:  Child Having no Presumed, Acknowledged, or Adjudicated Father

.

A proceeding to adjudicate the parentage of a child having no presumed, acknowledged, or adjudicated father may be commenced at any time, including after the date:

(1) the child becomes an adult;  or

(2) an earlier proceeding to adjudicate paternity has been dismissed based on the application of a statute of limitation then in effect.

.

.

So yes, you can file another paternity case to determine paternity for your son.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This was not the answer I was looking for there is already a father established however I tried to remove him as the father in 2002 but that as well was dismissed the same way.
Barrister, Lawyer