Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is it possible to get child custody with a good reason if…

Customer Question
Is it possible to get...
Is it possible to get child custody with a good reason if you are behind on child support? I am going through divorce-custody. I pay a good amount 1200 a month I just can't afford what the DA ordered. At that time I was getting 70hrs at work. It was based on that. Now I don't. The divorce is been going for a year. Or I probably would not be behind.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/26/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Are you still fighting with the other parent over custody or has it already been ordered?

But basically. She ran with the kids. Hid out for two years and then out of the blue the DA sends me papers for child support. I signed with no lawyer because the info looked like they where in poor shape. I figured it get taken care of in the divorce. I would not be behind but my lawyer has drug this case out for over a year. He recommended I go after my kids. I think he will end up rolling on me. I've had nothing but problems with him so far. Anyway when the when the papers where files from the DA. I figured what office in Texas. Traced it back and figured out where she was basically then filed divorce. I have pretty good reasons to go after my kids. She's had a transgender for a lover, roommate around them and no a felon on probation as a live in lover. Multiple people in and out. She actually lives with two men now. That man and a friend of theirs she says.

When it comes to child custody, a Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the children. If you can show that you are better for the kids, than her, the Judge may order it. If the Judge does, support can be modified and terminated and she may have to start pay you support. Now, if you lost hours at work and your income has decreased, through no fault of your own, you can also try and modify support and get it reduced, based upon a substantial change in circumstances.

I'm still fighting it. They said I can't modify it until we go to court. I still make the same money just no crazy overtime. There are no temp orders because my first lawyer did me wrong. So I fired him and would not sign the paperwork. This new guy? Long story. He just keeps dragging it out. With no end in sight. I have no idea why? Some of the stuff my wife did came out in the temp hearing. The judge didn't seem to care. Hes not a child molester and who cares about the tranny. As long as no sex is had in front of the kids. Nice huh. I am trying for a jury trial.

If your attorney is not moving the case along and you are being prejudiced by it, new counsel would need to be retained, I am sorry to say. If support is still the same and you are making less and there are issues with the children, this needs to be advanced.

Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law