Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

When my mother was 2 years old her mother passed away and…

When my mother was...

When my mother was 2 years old her mother passed away and she was taken in and raised by another family. The new family raised her as their own and even gave her their last name. Unfortunately the name change was never done legally. Still she was allowed to attend school and even later in life marry using that name. Now she's in her 70's and wanting to get a passport for a trip out of the country. She applied for a passport and was unable to get it because of the name issue. This is confusing since she was allowed to attend school, get married and even begin receiving Social Security with her "adopted" name. What are her options to resolve this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She was born in Norfolk, Virginia but now lives in NJ.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She submitted the paperwork for the passport but was denied.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. However, is there a charge for this?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Immigration Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Approximately how much will the lawyer cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Immigration Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Ok!

10/24/2017
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question.

Are you asking the process for mom to obtain a legal name change?

I guess I'm a little confused as well. She's been living under a certain last name for about 70 years. Everything in her life is under that name. That is also my maiden name. What should she do at this point?

That depends...that is, it depends on what she wants to accomplish.

THe fact she has used an alias over all these years does not equate to a legal name change.

IF she wants to change her name? That is not complex...she can head to the county court and they will provide the forms. She completes and files the forms, pays the fee, and in a month or two the judge will order the change.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

If she does the name change as you suggested what will that mean for her Social Security, medical records, and any other legalities that have taken place in her lifetime?

Nothing. Changing her name will have no effect on these benefits/records/etc.

FOlks change their names all the time...it is truly no big deal. And not expensive.

Seems that would be an easy solution to this problem

Ok...thank you!

Welcome. Please take the time to accept the answer, I would truly appreciate that (it is the only way I receive credit for my work)
phil

I'm so afraid that at this point in her life making any changes to her name will turn her life upside down. She is on a fixed income, receiving Social Security. I do not want to tell her to do something that might take away her livelihood. So much to consider.

Again, as I previously explained, changing her name will not impact her benefits...she would simply provide SS and other agencies with a copy of the court order changing her name

P. Simmons, Lawyer