Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question about a marriage application and name

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a question about a marriage application and name change

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

We have filled out the application and elected at the time to not charge our names. After the ceremony but before submitting the application, we have decided we would like to change our names. Is the only way to do that now through a legal name change and not through the marriage process.
10/24/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

A marriage name change, unlike a court ordered name change, is permissible at law upon marriage as a common law name change. This is why the driver's license bureau and SSA accept proof of marriage and allow the person to change their name to their married name without court process. You can elect at any time after the marriage to use a married name.

Simply produce a certified copy of the marriage certificate and the appropriate government agency form (for example, the SS-5 for social security) and they will change your name in their records.

You do not have to go through a court process.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if your question was answered satisfactorily.

Hi. My question was about it marriage license application. The application, not the certificate, has been issued by our county but has not been submitted by the couple. Can we eject to change our names at this point or is it too late and we now have to go through another method of name change.

Yes, if you have been married you can elect to change your name at any time. You do not close the door on a marital name change by not electing on the application.

If the marriage has occurred, though, you can not just change the license after the officiant has signed off.

You can, however, simply go ahead and change your name with SSA and DMV, which you would need to do anyway.

Are you still online with me?

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer