Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If the parenting plan changes August 14, and the RFO for…

If the parenting plan...

If the parenting plan changes August 14, and the RFO for modification of support is filed August 18, the hearing is held 10/13, but the modification doesn't go into effect until 11/1 despite the time change moving from (33% to 73% to the support payor), did the court abuse its discretion and effectively award a non-guideline amount from the hearing date until the date the order goes into effect 11/1?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just what I asked thanks

10/23/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer
On review of your facts, you have a good case. I see no basis to deviate from the guidelines in this situation.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
considering the fact that the hearing was held 10/13, but the modification wont go into affect until 11/1 despite the fact that there was a significant change in timeshare per court order on 8/14 - would you agree that setting the modification out until 11/01, versus the date of the hearing, effectively created a non-guideline amount from 10/13-11/1? Ive searched through 1500 cases on findlaw and unfortunately there is no case law regarding anything like this.
The period is brief which is why not finding reported casesYou may seek to reargue and modify the decision.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
acceptable. Thanks!
Thank you!
Would you kindly rate me five stars - that is the only way I get credit by the website. Thank you!
Infolawyer, Lawyer