Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In california divorced 5 years, term marriage my alimony is…

Customer Question
In california divorced 5...

In california divorced 5 years, long term marriage my alimony is higher than child support

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Considering moving in with boyfriend however I earn more than he does and the lease is in my name, my ex is vicious and makes a a lot of money. can he reduce my alimony altogether eventhough there is no shared accounts and everything is in my name/. In california . Can't afford to consult old attorney - I use the alimony to offset the little i do get in child support in california

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/23/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a CA licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thanks for your patience. Even if you move in with someone else, your boyfriend's income will not affect ho much alimony is paid to you. The courts in CA look to the debts, assets, and income of each of the parties in interest, irrespective of whether each spouse has moved in with someone rich or poor. So, the answer to your question is no; he cannot reduce your alimony even if you move in with someone else.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

I am confused- I read on line that if cars are parked here overnight it's enough to bring to the court that I am cohabitatiing and he could reduce alimony - btw we were married 17 years. And are 6 years out

I can understand the confusion. It's really more about the $ you personally earn and the money that your former spouse earns as well. Whether you are living with someone who is worth millions might be taken into consideration; otherwise, the court does not care.