Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband filed divirce in 2011 in nevada and now i saw the

papers i did not sign...
my husband filed divirce in 2011 in nevada and now i saw the papers i did not sign it and it was forged my middle initial was q instead of g we got married in 1988 but ithe divorce papers it was 1998. Now he got married in 2016 is our divorce legal?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was told its a case of forgery, adultery and concubinage are this the cas i can file We lived still as husband and wife till july if this year
10/23/2017
FamilyAttorney

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. I’m a licensed attorney with 37 years’ extensive experience in family law, trials, appeals, contracts, landlord-tenant, and other types of law.

This is general information and not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed, and no attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Also, I’d like to review your question for a minute and type your answer. If I am not here for a few minutes, that means I am typing your answer. THIS IS NOT YOUR ANSWER YET so please allow me time to type it up for you. It may take a few minutes, so please understand that. Thanks!

If a request for a phone call comes in, it is from the site, not from me. I will be happy to have a phone call with you but only if you want it. If you would like to request a phone call, that’s fine too. There is no pressure and we can stay here if you’d like.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm not sure if you are in California and he's in Nevada or where you are both located.

That would help for me to know.

Regardless, if there are papers for a divorce, you're supposed to sign them -- which is required in Nevada as in most states. If he couldn't get you to sign, then he had to serve you with a complaint for divorce which he didn't do. I'm not sure why this is in Nevada and not California, as you list above, but you can explain that to me.

In any event, you are not officially divorced. This was a fraud upon the court and a fraud to you. There was forgery and fraud, and it's not necessarily the fact that the date is wrong. What's more important is that it's not your signature, which is fraud, and your marriage is still in existence. I would strongly urge you to seek out legal counsel and discuss your case so that you can go ahead with your divorce if you want.

I don’t always say to get a lawyer, but in this instance I would. We aren't allowed to refer to any particular lawyer. However, what I do here, which helps my customers tremendously, is I give you a list of lawyers in your area and I'll show you how easy it is to pick one.

I have a short, easy to understand guide and it will show you what to look for in an attorney. You can always run your picks by me and I can let you know if I think you're on the right track. I will also look for LegalAid and pro bono attorneys in your area if you tell me to do that. I just need to know where to look. The bigger the city the better. My customers tell me they have found great lawyers from my information. Just let me know if you want this information.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
please we both live in granada hills california. But separate address as i have asked him to leave. Pro bono is okay since im going thru financial hardship due to this. Please assist me i. Looking for a good lawyer as i will need all the help i need. Thank you

Okay, will do. I'm happy to help you. I'm so sorry this happened. That's disgraceful but you are wise to take care of this now.

I will look for pro bono and legal aid. Please keep in mind that not all people who say they are pro bono really are, so you have to ask. You may be able to use Legal Aid too.

I'll be right back. Thank you in the meantime for rating me, as indicated below.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and chat here with me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 37 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough. The majority of my ratings, by far, have been 5s, which is extremely important to me.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "NYFamilyAttorney ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

FamilyAttorney

You're going to want to use a family lawyer first to get out of the marriage, if that's what you want to do.

Family lawyers in Granada Hills, pro bono/legal aid:

There's nothing in Granada Hills but there are firms nearby -- https://www.justia.com/lawyers/family-law/california/granada-hills/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services

Just let me know if you want me to look up private lawyers.

After the divorce, you may want to press charges for forgery and fraud. You can take that up with the local DA or prosecutor. If you want to sue him civilly for money damages for fraud or forgery, you should use a litigator. This is AFTER you do the divorce.

Litigators, Granada Hills:

Here's a statewide listing: https://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/probono/directory/california.html

Also: you may want to try the Cal. lawyers for the arts in LA, as they have business lawyers:

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/california/woodland-hills/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services. Honestly, though, you will probably need to get a private attorney for suing him in civil court for money damages. That's probably your best bet. So this is a two step process-- 1) get the divorce done first, then 2) EITHER get a prosecutor and press charges for forgery and fraud, or sue him for forgery and fraud, or do both (prosecute and file civilly).

Good luck and thanks for rating me!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I will file a case against him for fraud and forgery. I will not give him the freedom i will make him feel the hardship i am going thru. Ans plus the harrasment he did at my job and for getting me fired just beacuse he works for the company as a corporate worker? I will file also for harrassment unlawfulntermination and retaliation against our comapany Please find me a private lawyer. Thank you so much

Yes, you can do all of that. If he's harassing you, you can sue him for that and you can and may also want to get a protective order against him for harassment.

Do you want a private lawyer for the harassment, fraud and forgery? It would be best for me to find a litigator for you. And I will do so and then will send you my guide. I'll be right back. I'm so sorry. This must be a nightmare for you. :( I'm here to help.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It is a nightmare we were married for 30 years. He married someone in 2016 and is keeping another married woman in his arms! I hope he suffers in jail. Yes i will need a private lawyer then

Okay, I have litigators listed below for the fraud, forgery and harassment. You will want to ask them specifically if they do these kinds of cases. If not, I would find someone else. Good luck to you. I'm sorry for all you've been through but you are doing the right thing for yourself and are moving forward. We're here to help with support any way we can. Be well!!!

Granada Hills litigator:

https://www.avvo.com/search/lawyer_search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=litigation&loc=granada+hills%2C+ca

Here is my guide:

How to choose an attorney. THIS IS HOW I WOULD PICK AN ATTORNEY IF I NEEDED ONE FOR MYSELF IN ANOTHER FIELD OF LAW.

Here's what to look for and what to avoid.

Avoid: Any red mark next to an attorney's name, such as misconduct. That usually means the lawyer was either disbarred, censured, cited for misconduct, or suspended from the practice of law.

Ignore: Ratings, such as 6.5 or 10, which is the highest. A 6.5 attorney may be even better than a 10. It's difficult to say. The site has its own formula for rating attorneys and many attorneys get a 10 because they belong to bar associations and sometimes give lectures. That does not necessarily mean they're the best when it comes to going to court.

Remember: People who charge the most aren’t necessarily the best! I know people who charged twice as much as I did and I have won cases against them easily in court. Don’t be fooled by price.

What to look for: See what the clients’ reviews state, especially in the field that you're interested in (i.e. family law, wills, custody, guardianship, etc.). That is probably going to be the most important thing. Many people have not been reviewed, but if there are a bunch of them who are, go with the ones who have multiple reviews and whose reviews are outstanding. You don't want someone who is a family lawyer but who has been rated as an excellent criminal lawyer. That won't help you. You want them rated as an excellent family lawyer if that's what you're looking for.

I would also suggest you find someone who has been practicing at least 10 years, the more the better(15-20 is even better). The site will tell you how long they're practicing law. You don't want someone just a few years out of law school to take on your tough case.

If there are hundreds of lawyers on the link I’m sending to you, you don’t have to review all of them. Just look at the first few “pages” and that will be enough. Don’t make yourself crazy looking at all of the lawyers there.

Extra suggestion:

I also suggest that you find someone who does primarily family law – if that’s what you’re looking for – or any other type of law you are looking for. For example, if you’re looking for a family lawyer (or any other type of lawyer), the site I am sending you to shows what percentage of the lawyer’s business is family law (or the other type of law you are looking for). If you want a family lawyer, you should find someone who does mostly family law cases – at least 50% -- or exclusively family law cases (100%). I am an appellate attorney who does family law cases, and I do appeals exclusively now. I list myself as doing appeals for 85% of my practice, and I show that the appeals are for family law, custody and child abuse. Someone looking for a family law appellate attorney would know that that’s what I do. So consider the percentage of work they do in the area of law that you want. If it’s 20% or something similar, and they do several types of law, you should find another lawyer. Find someone who spends most of his or her time doing the type of law you want to hire them for.

Take Action: Take a few names and make some phone calls. Ask for a free consultation -- see if you can get one. If you don't feel confident in the lawyer, find another one. That's why it's good to make a list of the ones you want, maybe 5-6 lawyers and you'll find one. It’s okay to walk out of a lawyer’s office and don’t sign anything if you’re not comfortable with the lawyer. You usually want an aggressive lawyer to help you and someone who will return phone calls.

If you can take someone with you to interview the lawyer, that would be a good idea. It’s always good to have another opinion.

You can always fire a lawyer if you're not happy but once the case is underway, you may need court permission to do so, so make sure you like the lawyer!

You can always run your picks by me and I can let you know if I think you’re on the right track.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Okay then i will do that. But incase can i get back to you? If ever i will be needing your expertise tom?

Hi -- I'm sorry it took so long for me to answer you. I had to reboot my computer because it had an issue.

Yes, you can come back here any time you need to. Just come into this room and it will generate an email for me. When I get the email, I will answer you. I may not be here at the time that you're here, but I usually answer the same day, once I see the email, as I check my email several times a day.

Best of luck to you and yes, I will be happy to take your follow-up questions. The only thing the site asks is that if you have a new question, then you have to make a new post, but otherwise you can send in a follow-up question. Have a good evening! Hang in there!

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you so much. Looking forward to talk to you here. I feel confident talking to you. Take care.

You too! I'm here for you. You're going to be okay! :)

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Goodnight!

You know, the best thing to do in these type of situations is to take action, and that's what you're doing. It's not good to let things happen to you -- you have the power to do something about it, and you are. That's the best course of action. Nite!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi its me again
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I will also need employment lawyer
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I contacted atty David Flexk
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Fleck

Hello. Have you heard back from him? Are you looking to use him as a litigator? He does business litigation and is well rated, but I don't know about employment law because he's not listed for that, unless you are using him for the fraud issue. If you need an employment lawyer, you will probably want me to find other lawyers for you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi yes i need also employment lawyer he did not reapond yet
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Mow currently im suspended ay my job bec i was reported for harrasing my husband who works at the corporate office as far as i know iam the one who was harrased at my work area. Screamed at infront of my patients. Why should i he suspended. I think they will let go of me too! This is retaliation for sure. Please i need a lawyer who can do both fraud for my divorce and retaliation for my work. Thank you!

Wow, I'm so sorry. Okay, will look for employment lawyers, both private and legal aid/pro bono.

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/california/woodland-hills/legal-aid-and-pro-bono-services

There are only 2 employment listings there.

Private employment lawyers: 39 lawyers

https://www.avvo.com/search/lawyer_search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=employment&loc=granada+hills%2C+ca

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Okay. Are you working today in the morning?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Atty Payab okay?

Yes, I'm actually here this morning, a rare occurrence.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last comment...?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Atty Payab i see he has very good cases he handled and won.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
If only you can work 24 hours. Lol!

:) I can't but thnx.

His reviews are really great. You have to see if you like him though. I am sure he can do your employment law, not sure if can do your fraud issue, so you'll have to ask.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Maybe i will
Have to take 2 lawyers one for fraud and one for employment. I will be needing Atty Payab because my case with my employer was mis handled. They did not protect me from my husband. Just because he is a corporate person. Now anyone in position can harrass staff who are inferior of them
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
instead of me being protected i get harrassed
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
suspended

I'm so sorry. Sometimes when it rains it pours... Hang in there hon, just know that it will get better.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I know. It really is. Thank you so much. I will get intouch with atty payab later
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Still looking for a lawyer for fraud case

Good luck! I hope that works out. I would concentrate on one thing at a time, but I think I had sent you information about litigation lawyers, so hopefully you can find someone in the links above to help you with that.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
you did send me list of litigation lawyers. Im still searching. Thank you. Enjoy your day.

You too! Hang in there!

FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer