Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can a mother have child's last name change to step father's…

Can a mother have...

Can a mother have child's last name change to step father's name without permission or informing the biological father?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

She is in state of Washington, father in Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Just found out, he does have a lawyer in WA and going to court to change parenting plan. A court appointed GAL just informed him her name was changed

10/22/2017
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Thank you.

The court must approve all name changes. If the dad does not agree, the court will hold a hearing to determine if the proposed charge is in the best interest of the child. SO possible? Sure...but not easy.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

No this is fine. I am a caretaker for my mom, and it is difficult to use the phone.
she asked my son once and he said no....just found out it had been done without his knowledge

you may want to investigate further...could be mom forged your signature to accomplish this

P. Simmons, Lawyer
ok, will check with lawyer who is working on a new parenting plan with the court.

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
IF she forged your signature? This would be relatively easy to undo

P. Simmons, Lawyer