Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

There is a clause in a separation agreement. "The obligation…

There is a clause...

There is a clause in a separation agreement. "The obligation of the husband to pay maintenance shall not be affected by what ever income the wife here after May have or the source there of whether earned or unearned". My wife is remarrying. Under Virginia law will that clause oblige me to pay her after she gets married?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia. Both the divorce and new marraige

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. That's why I'm asking. I will need to but I was wondering if u had any input

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/22/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Thank you
I'm in Japan. N
I'd do the call but kind of hard unless I call u

You would need to return to court here to seek to modify the separation agreement.If it does not address remarriage you pay until modified.It is very common here in Virginia to modify and eliminate support in a divorce.She has to be divorced in order to remarry.But you would want your lawyer here to seek to modify and eliminate support if she remarries here.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best, ***** ***** know if you have more.

Thanks for rating 5 stars when we are done.

I know that. I was asking if the clause I wrote out would impact my ability to terminate support. As I understood from Virginia law termination is automatic. Is it differnt for me due to the clause?
I'm sorry but I feel like the question I asked differs from what u responded to

Give me a second.

Ok. Thank you

When either spouse dies or the supported spouse remarries, alimony will automatically cease. Nevertheless, a live-in partner does not mean an immediate end to spousal support. Yet, a paying spouse can ask the court to reduce alimony based on his or her ex-spouse's new relationship.

Remarriage and Alimony in Virginia | DivorceNet

It ceases by law as you can see thanks for letting me clarify.

Make sure they legally marry here.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer