Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In a civil case interrogatories where sent to the plaintiff

with no response. Plaintiff claims...
In a civil case interrogatories where sent to the plaintiff with no response. Plaintiff claims interrogatories where clearly typed and not editable. Plaintiff claims he objected therefore does not need to answer. Would this be the case?
10/21/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

A party can object to the interrogatories. If so, then the other party (the Defendant) can:

1) Amend or supplement the interrogatories as needed, or simply re-send them and ensure that they are clear, and give the Plaintiff another time window to reply; or

2) File a Motion to Compel with the Court, asking the Court to order the Plaintiff to answer. Then, the Plaintiff's objections are reviewed by the Court which may sustain or overrule them.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok but just the fact they objected means they do not need to respond even tho their objection was never sustained or overruled by the court?

Correct. The objection is presumed to be valid until/unless overridden by the Court.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law