Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I pay monthly child support to ex every 1st of month. Ex…

I pay monthly child support...
I pay monthly child support to ex every 1st of month. Ex intentionally holds each payment to cash till end of month or later knowing this will cause me financial discomfort. She's done this for 8 yrs now. Contacting her, or her atty, about this is a waste of time. She/atty are both "pound-of-flesh" bullies.Is a motion for hearing recommended next, or, for procedural sake, take each step prior to motioning for hearing so the ex/atty cannot say I did not try to contact them about this recurring issue? thx
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/20/2017
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your issue. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

First, do you give her a personal check at the beginning of the month? What form of payment is used?

Mail a personal check first of every month for payment and so I have a paper record through the bank

Ok, thank you. The first thing you need to do is to pay her with a cashier's check. You will have a receipt of the transaction and she can no longer hold it not cash it. I would send the cashier's check certified so that you have have proof of her receiving it. Another option is to have it taken directly from your pay check and deposited into her account. Most people prefer to avoid this option but I wanted you to know all options.

Might try the cashiers Ck
Tho requires extra proof of mailing costs
She will Have to go to the post office to pick it up usually which will be an inconvenience for her so that is a plusShe is very vindictive it may rile her up for payback because that is how she lives life unfortunately

You are not required to send it certified, but it gives you an extra layer of protection from her claiming she didn't receive it. I deal with situations like this all the time in my practice. It's amazing what people will do.

Please let me know if you have an additional question. If not, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!

jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer
jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer