Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What’s a normal rate I should expect for a private

investigator?...
What’s a normal rate I should expect for a private investigator?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/20/2017
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a license attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Across all cases, the cost of hiring a private investigator in the US is ranges from $40 - 200$ per hour. Retainers for most agencies range from $500-$1500 depending on the type of case.

How much a private investigator costs depends on the work you want done and the location in which the case will be based. Whether you want to hire a private detective to find records or property, follow someone, investigate infidelity, or find a lost relative, you'll need to know how investigators charge, and what the likely cost will be for your case.

Expenses can include an administrative or set-up fee of $50-$150 per case; $0.20-$0.75 per mile driven; hotel or other travel costs; fees for taking photographs or video ($5-$10 per photo or a flat rate of $30-$50); and any charges like government record/filing fees or lab tests.

A private investigator may charge a flat fee for specific projects like background checks or research. A standardized records search might cost $20-$200 or more, depending on what is included; and monitoring a GPS tracking device could cost $50-$75 a day (with a 3-7 day minimum). For example, RB Investigations in Arizona charges $25 to verify a social security number, $75 to check a motor vehicle or driving record, and offers pre-employment and background search packages for $85-$185, with a minimum "no hit" fee of $25 even if a records search finds nothing.

Thx, Jessica. What’s the typical fee if they have to follow somebody? Is it an hourly rate?

Usually that is an hourly rate because it depends what the goal is. For instance, proof of infidelity could take one day or one month. It really depends.

Any idea what’s a reasonable hourly rate for that?

Usually you pay a retainer around $1000, and then the PI collects his hourly fee from that retainer. The hourly rate for investigating infidelity is usually around $75 an hour. I have seen it for less. I would contact few PI's and get their fee structures. I just had a client who hired a PI, and the PI was able to get proof of the infidelity with photos, and the total cost was $700.

That’s very reasonable! Is there a reliable way to find a good PI? I’m in Bay Area.

Bay Area...as in San Francisco Bay Area? Tampa Bay Area? Once I know which one I will be able to give you some recommendations.

San Francisco Bay Area and I’m in Los Altos. The person I might want to investigate is in San Mateo /Burlingame / Redwood City area

Ok thank you.

1) Moser & Associates

1259 El Camino Real
Ste 102
Menlo Park, CA 94025

(###) ###-####/p>

2) Robert Ferris Investigations

888 N First St
Ste 313
San Jose, CA 95112

(###) ###-####/p>

3) Foglight Investigations

*****27/406
San Bruno, California 94066(###) ###-####/p>
Jessica B
Thank you!

No problem!