Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in the state of Missouri, and i am filing for

Customer Question
I live in the...

I live in the state of Missouri, and i am filing for Divorce, My question is primarily this, If his name is ***** ***** the apartment just mine can the judge still award him the apartment, and will the landlord have the authority to evict him from the premise?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri Jackson County to be Specific, we have no kids, and no real property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I am hesitant to file any paperwork being knowing if adding him to the lease is required or if a judge can Award him the apartment, and If the Apartment would have to enforce the judges decision, It is a Completely uncontested divorce.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No mam

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/20/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
It is possible a judge might award the apartment to a spouse not on the lease, but it is highly unlikely and difficult to enforce because the landlord is not a party to the divorce and can not be forced to enter into a contract with the spouse.
So, it is not something you need worry about.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
the best thing to do would be try to get his name onto the lease before filing. Or should i just Start the filing process, and not worry about whether his name is ***** ***** lease, I am actually wanting to grant him the apartment, as i haven't been living there for the past year, and he has been making the payments
It is something he and you would need to work out with the landlord. As I mentioned, the landlord is not a party to the divorce and it would be difficult to enforce any orders against hism or her.
Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question satisfactorily.
Are you still online with me?
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!