Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My girlfriend cashed out her retirement 12 years ago $12,000…

My girlfriend cashed out her...
My girlfriend cashed out her retirement 12 years ago $12,000 but didn't want a bank account in her name. She asked me to put it in my savings. We have lived together until now and I want to break up. She's asking for the money back but it was mutually spent by both of us. Over these years I have covered all of the living expenses and she's only maintained a part time job. What are my rights?
10/20/2017
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
You have no legsl obligation to return money used by both of you for your mutual household expenses. Besides that, the statute of limitations on any claim she may have had expired years ago. In other words, her claim, if she has one, is time barred.
You do not have a legsl debt.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Did you have further questions? Please let me know if your question was answered satisfactorily.
Hi LorenVery helpful. Thank you.
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!
Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer