Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have a juvenile hearing with DHS tomorrow and was

Customer Question
Hi, I have a juvenile...
Hi, I have a juvenile hearing with DHS tomorrow and was wondering what this hearing will include
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Oregon
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My wife disicplined our son and he went to school and had a bruise. They are trying to get my wife to admit to the bruise, but she only hit him on his lower back and bottom. the bruise was on his thight above his knee. We have cooperated for the last 6 weeks with in-home therapist 4 times a week for a few hours and no unsupervised contact.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not. I am attempting to find one now and do research.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/18/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The hearing will be where the social workers will present their evidence and you and your wife will present your refute of that evidence. Under the law, you are allowed to use reasonable corporal punishment in discipline of your child, so as long as you do not cause major injury it is not illegal to spank your child and it is not abuse. If you have waited until the day before the hearing and have not obtained an attorney, it really is a mistake on your part. You should never go to any of these hearings with DHS without an attorney because usually their social workers are biased and incompetent and will do whatever they want to achieve their biased opinion as to what the outcome should be.

However, at this point, ORS 415B.005 sub paragraph b states that reasonable discipline of a child is NOT abuse and you need to argue that children get bruised playing all the time and that your wife had a right under ORS to engage in reasonable discipline of the child and not be considered abuse and as such the case should be closed.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer