Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have gone to Child Support Services. My divorce was

Customer Question
I have gone to...

I have gone to Child Support Services. My divorce was finalized on July 11, 2017. I can claim arrears from August 1,2017 because my ex has not complied with the order. I agreed for my ex to pay half the guideline amount $435 ($840 was guideline amount). I know it's been a short time, but I want to file a motion for change of support. I have a 17 year old that will become 18 Dec. 1, 2017 and a 15 year old. I don't think my chances filing earlier than 6 months will be good for a judgement in my favor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado, Denver

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can't afford it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
Already have a CSS case # ***** an FSR # and an agent.
Also, do I have rights to arrears back to time ex left? Or only from date of decree? In new motion, can I ask for arrears?
10/17/2017
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 10 months ago
Michael Bradley

you can file a change the child support

normally arrears are set from the date of filing

in the new motion you can file for arrears

What about my son turning 18 soon? He's will still be in high school until May of 2018. Will he be disqualified from child support?
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago
Child support will run until he graduates
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 25 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough. The majority of my ratings, by far, have been 5s, which is extremely important to me.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "Michael Bradley ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago

Can I assist you further?