Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Looking for some family law child support counsel.

Hello. Looking for some family...
Hello. Looking for some family law child support counsel
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. Just a lot of reading online and friends who are lawyer assistants.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should be it
10/17/2017
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

What questions may I help you with?

Can’t work yet until I pass 1 test and get accepted to residency. No perm residence. Living with friend. No income don’t pay rent. Barely making food. I owe 400k in std debt. I want to pay child sppt. I have no intention of fleeing from my responsibility. Timing couldn’t be more off and I realize my son needs support. Ex spouse works 75k job annually. First Court date 29dec2017 for child and spousal support. Will the judge force me to find a temp job? This will undoubtedly interfere from my ability in attaining my profession as MD. What’s the child support amount est per month for this situation? I’ve used all calculators and all say I’m responsible for 0$. Clearly, That’s not right. Can I ask the petitioner/Ex to delay the trial to prevent arearment from accruing? If she doesn’t am I at risk for going to jail?
Med. stdnt. Going to residency. Unemplyd since2012. Ex-spous has full cstdy,works & seeking chld sppt. What do I expect?
What is my best next move?

Judge will likely set minimal support here, $300 a month if you are lucky,Use a minimum wage full time job to calculate whats you would owe here say $1,300 a month gross minus your single person deduction. This should give you an idea here of what you might owe.You may be due spousal support as an offset if she has income and you don't.You might be able to make a deal here .She waives child support for awhile and you waive spousal.But if she has money here she owes you spousal in California it is gender neutral.Try to make a deal here wash the spousal for child support for a year or so however long you need.

Appreciate the chance to help you, thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Let me know if you have more.

If she does agree to this, she starts by officially filing for a delay of trial with the court? What behooves me is that she filed for child support with spousal support even after knowing I have 0 income. Wow but what a move..I’d feel so dirty to ask for spousal support from her. Doesn’t this go against my character when presented to a judge? (Aka: A medical professional who is trying to “steal” from his child’s mother who is the full custodial guardian?” What would the court start the spousal support at? Surely it wouldn’t negate the child support costs. But If she decides not to stipulate an agreement for delay, for me to ask for spousal support I would need to refile/reserve my fl105 fl120 with before the 29dec trial?

I see this as a means to save you from paying here until your schooling is done.Yes you have right to spousal support temporarily here, she has income you do not, it should at least wash the child support.It is all on the table here.Keep negotiating she probably doesn't realize she might have to pay spousal.But its good to be poor here , she would get way more if you were doctoring.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer