Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was paying child support for 2 of my children, and the…

Customer Question
I was paying child support...
I was paying child support for 2 of my children, and the mother and I got back together and lived together for a year before deciding that it wouldn't work. She took me off of child support as I was taking care of the children plus 2 other children that I have joint custody of. Once we went our separate ways she put me back on child support. I got no hearing or anything. I just got a letter saying I was back on and they added arrears from the year that we lived together. As a result, I am getting so much taken out of my check that I can't provide for the children I have joint custody of plus my rent and bills. How do I get this fixed?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/16/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you

with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Can you help w this matter?

I am very sorry to hear about your situation.

Generally, unless there is a court order that says that you do not owe child support, then the court is going to enforce the previous order. Generally, when a couple gets back together after splitting up and having a support order entered, it is usually advisable to go and get the child support modified. One thing that you could do at this point is request a modification of your child support. You could provide some evidence such as receipts or anything else to help prove that you and the other person were living together with the children and you provided Support over that time so they can get rid of the arrears. Also, if you believe that the amount of support requested should be changed because of the children's age or because of any other Factor than you can include any modification for support.