Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can I receive a legal separation agreement while my divorce

is pending? I am in...
Can I receive a legal separation agreement while my divorce is pending? I am in Cal and my wife is in Utah. My cars are in Cal but insurance won't let me drop her with a legal separation agreement. She has a DUI and a history of drug abuse I don't want that liability while divorce is pending
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: She's in Utah and filed from there I'm in California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not about this
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
10/15/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is no. You are going through a divorce and thus cannot get relief using legal separation. However, you can file Motion and ask the Court to expedite the divorce proceeding.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law