Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I receive a legal separation agreement while my divorce…

Can I receive a...

Can I receive a legal separation agreement while my divorce is pending? I am in Cal and my wife is in Utah. My cars are in Cal but insurance won't let me drop her with a legal separation agreement. She has a DUI and a history of drug abuse I don't want that liability while divorce is pending

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

She's in Utah and filed from there I'm in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not about this

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

10/15/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is no. You are going through a divorce and thus cannot get relief using legal separation. However, you can file Motion and ask the Court to expedite the divorce proceeding.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law