How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 50767
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Family law attorney with international divorce expertise(

Customer Question

Second opinion] This question is for a family law attorney with international divorce expertise( not an immigration attorney)I married my wife in a South American country 15 years ago and sponsored her US citizenship. She is now a resident & US citizen living in Texas, USA. We have been totally physically separated 8+ years. I am a US citizen but have not resided in Texas or USA for 10+ years. She lives in the house I have paid for. Would Texas recognize a unilateral divorce that I obtain in Haiti?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

If you are wanting to divide up Texas proeprty here you would have to file for divorce in Texas.Texas would likely recognize a divorce but not any property division.To do that you really need to file here in Texas if you want to be awarded property.As long as you aren't wanting to divide the Texas property and assets the actual divorce maybe recognized here in Texas.But Texas would have to divide Texas assets.Divorce would be ok but assets have to be divided and awarded here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Get the Divorce abroad, in your home country, and then file a copy with a motion to register the foreign divorce in Texas. However, once you get the Divorce -- as long as it complies with the laws of your home country and it has been properly served -- it should be valid.

Before you leave this country, take a copy of the sections of the Texas statutes dealing with the issues of Divorce itself -- and of Service of Process (especially foreign service) under the Civil Rules -- with you. Show them to your Attorney there.