Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need some spousal support advice for my divorce. Ca. No a…

Hi Pearl, I need...

Hi Pearl, I need some spousal support advice for my divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No a mediator estimated the spousal support and I want a lawyer to review

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a pdf with the calculated spousal support, want them to peek at it for validation I am not being riped off

10/12/2017
socrateaser, Lawyer

NOTICE: If you are presented with an offer fora phone consultation, which may appear to have been sent by me,please know that this is an automated website offer, and that I do not participate in this Justanswer program. If you would like to correspond with me directly, whether by phone, email or otherwise, then do not accept the phone call offer, because your request will be accepted by a random contributor, who may or may not be licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction – and, I will be unable to provide further assistance. Instead, simply type to me that you would like my direct contact info, and I will send you a specific offer for that purpose.

I am a member of the State Bar of California, the Bar of the U.S. District and Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California (San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside Counties), the Bar of the U.S. Tax Court, the California and National Associations of Realtors, and I have comprehensive information about all areas of California and federal law.

How may I assist?

I retained a mediator in San Diego that ran the calc on my spousal support, and, the number is ***** high. I have her analysis in a pdf and I wanted a second opinion or ways I can suggest she revise the model to lower my spousal support number.
I have the pdf of her analysis, can I send to you for your independent review

Is this a calculation for permanent spousal support -- or, temporary support pending final judgment in the dissolution action?

permanent, as we have been married just short of 20 years (19.5)

Okay, I can tell you right now, that as a matter of California law, there is no such thing as a formula for permanent spousal support. Whoever gave you the calculation is (IMHO) blowing smoke!

Cal. Family Code Section 4320 requires the court to consider 14 factors and then determine a fair amount of spousal support. Using any mathematical formula is considered an abuse of discretion, and is subject to reversal by the court of appeals. See In re Marriage of Cheriton (2001) 92 Cal.App.4th 269, 302-304.

So, I don't even need to review the calculations, because they're wrong, no matter what they state.

If you need more personal attention than can be provided in this public forum, I can arrange to send you an offer of direct correspondence, and we can take the discussion offline into a confidential setting. Please let me know if you're interested.

If not, then I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Can you sanity check the numbers. My bad, maybe she said the child support was a calc with minimums but the spousal support wasn't. Not sure. She is suppose to be objective but I am not sure she is,

I can check the numbers, but not in this forum. You're asking for a bona fide legal service, and I can only do that as part of an attorney-client relationship. I'll send you an offer of direct contact and you can accept or decline at your discretion.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer

Please follow the instructions in the service offer response. Thanks again for using Justanswer!

send you an email.

No more communications, here -- thanks!

socrateaser, Lawyer