Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In Ohio can a mother freely sign over custody to paternal…

In Ohio can a...

In Ohio can a mother freely sign over custody to paternal grandmother if the child was placed in children services? The mother of my grandson would like me to have custody. The father (my son) is in prison and his name was not put on birth certificate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. She is talking to one tomorrow. She wishes she had done it prior to children services getting involved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just if she as a mother has the right to freely sign over custody to me if the child is in children services?

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/12/2017
Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: No. A court must get involved and order the change in custody. A petition has to be filed with the court, then approved, and an order issued by the court before this can happen.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Longhorn Lawyer
I understand that it must go through the courts. Can the courts deny her the request? I was given custody of the baby 4 months ago by children services. I have been a foster parent and even an adoption of another grandson 14 years ago. I have no record of any sort. And although my son was not named as father, does he have to make a statement in support of her decision?

Certainly. The courts only care about what is in the best interests of the child; the concern is not about the mother or the grandmother. If the court finds that this is in the best interests of the child, they will approve the request.

Thank you. I already know that they will deny the change of custody due to a personal matter with the judge when I adopted the other grandson. I went before the Health and Welfare committee in 2008 and a portion of the adoption law was changed to my recommendation. I was denied adoption again, fired the attorney and filed my own appeal and won. It was put back in the judge's court where I represented myself pro se and he had to complete the adoption. Again thank you.

It sounds like we are getting off topic now. What are you asking?

Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer