Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In an attempt to get mandated child support, father states

if mother goes through with...
In an attempt to get mandated child support, father states if mother goes through with it he will file for custody and site mother's misdemeanor drug charge from several years ago, during a phone conversation father not talking right to mother and she starts recording conversation in which he states if she drops child support he will drop custody, but if she doesn't he will play dirty, he lives in Florida and she in Texas, is the recording legal?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
10/12/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: Yes, because the mother was part of the conversation. It is legal to record phone calls in Texas when a party who is recording the conversation is part of the conversation. See Texas Penal Code Title 4 Chapter 16 Section 16.02 (e). So, she can disclose that information to the Court and/or to the Attorney General's Office of the father's attempt to blackmail her. She should drop the child support case.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** to know this my attorney said she didn't know and who have to check and make sure we don't break a excellent law, again thank you this helps

You are quite Welcome! and thank you very much for the positive rating.

Have a wonderful day,

Oh, I just noticed my error:

She should drop the child support case.

I meant to say that she should NOT drop the child support case.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law