Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife and I are getting a divorce. The mediator claims…

Customer Question
My wife and I are...
My wife and I are getting a divorce. The mediator claims that it's best that our daughter (17 months old) stay with mom most of the time once we live separately. Wife and I had already reached an agreement that i'd have her overnight twice a week at least, and visit throughout the week. Mediator said that's bad for the child and that research backs that up without citing it. Wife and I still live together but she's moving out shortly, she can't afford to buy me out of the house and loan is on my name. We live in separate rooms in the same house.We've had an agreement in place for nearly a year where she and I split days close to evenly. So I have her overnight currently 3 days a week. I drop her and pick her up from daycare every single day. I bathe her, change her, put her to sleep, feed her, and take care of her when she's sick. I presented that to the mediator, but wife agreed with the mediator, that I should have only one overnight.What is this research the mediator is talking about? Is there contradicting research? What do I risk by agreeing to wife having daughter 6 days out of the week in the divorce decree?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/11/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I think mediator is off base here.Granted with young children they need some routine and structure.But there is no evidence that mom should have he child this much.You have been involved daily, remember this is mediator not the judge.Hold firm to what you want here, if the ex doesn't agree let the judge decide.The mediator is just trying to get you to cave . If you can reach agreement you don't need mediator to agree here the judge will sign off on it.4 days-3 days seems to work, less child support or no support involved too.Don't give this up they are trying to phase you out. You wouldn't do any worse in front of a judge.,Just tell the ex its 3 days or we got o the judge on it.Stand your ground.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

5 stars are one step away. Would you mind providing me at least one research paper showing equal division of child care during infancy is appropiate? I wouldn't ask for this if it weren't important for negotiation during mediation. At the end of the day it's important we reach a civil agreement if possible since it affects all other aspects being negotiated.

Here are more references about fathers rights

https://www.brettwmartin.com/Fathers-Rights/colorado-fathers-rights-advocates

Just don't give up here. this is mediation that means someone in the middle they are supposed to facilitate settlement.You want 3 days here, don't accept less than two days and maybe a half day sometime or evening.These guys are not being fair,they want you to have one day and pay full child support , this isn't fair mediation.Argue you are just asking for the status quo.Child has been prospering just fine as things are why change.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer