Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I married in June 2014. Immediately following the marriage…

Customer Question
I married in June...

I married in June 2014. Immediately following the marriage my husband started a job in Dubai. I moved out of the home I had been in for 20 years (renting with my four kids) and gave my business, which I owned for 10 years to my son, and followed my husband on his career. We've lived overseas since but bought a home in New Hampshire in October 2016 when we were home on a visit. Things are not going well in our marriage and I want to know what I may be looking at if we divorce. I have not worked since 2014 and have basically no credit right now. I would not be able to qualify for a mortgage and would need time to rebuild credit and start a business again, which will be time consuming because I now live in another state. Im not sure what alimony laws are in New Hampshire or what compensation I could expect.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Hampshire

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/11/2017
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking what the NH court will consider when deciding if alimony is appropriate?

Im wondering what I'd be entitled to and if alimony would be appropriate in this situation should we decide to divorce. Right now everything is in his name, all banking, credit cards, savings etc.

Thank you

Can you tell me, have you discussed this with him? Is there an agreement, generally, on the terms of the divorce?

Ely, Counselor at Law