Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm divorced with joint custody and rights to medical

I'm divorced with joint...

I'm divorced with joint custody and rights to medical information. they live in another state. My ex sent our 6year old daughter to see a counselor regarding her behavior.. i would like to speak to the counselor but my ex refuses to give me the contact information. How can i find out who her counselor is?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

divorce took place in South Carolina and they currently live in Rhode Island

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet, I'm not really in a position to afford a lawyer

10/11/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What someone in your situation wants to do is to send a letter to the other parent, stating that unless she provides the information as required per the decree, that you would file contempt on her.

Contempt is how parties enforce court orders. A parent found in contempt may be fined, admonished, and/or imprisoned.

Normally, this does the trick. Let me know if you need a sample of such a letter.

Of course if this does not do the trick, contempt may have to be filed.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Thanks

No problem. Good luck.

Ely, Counselor at Law