Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son owes $25,000 in back child support, the mother has…

My son owes $25,000...

My son owes $25,000 in back child support, the mother has never had anything to do with the kids, the Court has stopped his payments but how does he clear the money owed, he has had sole custody for 13 years, their whole lives?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Az

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

He has but to no avail, he is unemployed and does not have the means for an Attorney, has tried DES and I have him calling them again

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

the mother moved out of state years ago and has no contact with the children, she has given up custody on children she had previously and lived of our welfare system her whole life
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/10/2017
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you. So the children live with dad but he owes child support? Is it from before they moved in with him? Is it an order that was put into place and just was never addressed when they moved in with him?

They have never lived with their mother, they are actually living with his Mother my ex, he does not have a job currently
I am trying to help my son, I don't have the answers to all your questions nor the means to keep paying for the service. He is trying to get a passport his girlfriend is from Morrocco, and wants to meet her family

When did this child support obligation accrue? In other words... I'm trying to figure out whether there's a basis for contacting the court and stating he shouldn't owe this money...

checking with my son George, I may have you call him directly

please call George at ************ and bill me for it please

Once you accept the call we can call you - or George if you plug his number in - but you'll need to reach out to customer service first.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney