Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need help with the enforcement of a spousal support

Customer Question
I need help with...

I need help with the enforcement of a spousal support agreement from Virginia. I live in tn the respondent lives in va...what court or state do I use to get this heard?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in tn the decree is from VA. the ex lives in VA but a different county from the original decree.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No I contacted a lawyer in VA but they wouldn't answer the question. they told me to contact a lawyer in TN.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/10/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You would file here in Virginia if the divorce and decree were there.You would file a motion for contempt here and serve the other side with it.It carries same case number ***** court from the divorce.You can enforce it this way, the other party can be jailed and fined if they have no complied here.

Forms and self help to file this yourself

https://secure.uslegalforms.com/cgi-bin/forms/search.pl?state=VA&field=anywhere&rating=all&query=divorce+contempt

You would need to attach a certified copy of the decree or order they have not complied with.

I appreciate the chance to help you .Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer