Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My girlfriend and i are expecting and the mother is crazy,

Customer Question
she told my girlfriend...
my girlfriend and i are expecting and the mother is crazy, she told my girlfriend that if she dosnt abort then she is going to live in hell and that she wont have a phone and wont be able to do anything but school and home. is there anything we can do to save our baby... we are 16 and 17 above the age of concent for the state of kansas but under the adult age
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: kansas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to find a way to emancipate her but im not sure if that is possible the father is being coerced into supporting the mothers decison... i really need help
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/10/2017
Family Lawyer: lawyerJ, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. Please note all information is provided for educational purposes only. I'm reviewing your request and will respond shortly.

Ok. First of all, your girlfriend cannot be forced to get an abortion. In Kansas, pregnant unmarried minors may consent to their own treatment. If she does not consent, no provider would perform an abortion on her. Teenagers have full autonomy over any decisions regarding their own offspring.

If she wants to be emancipated from her parents, there's a separate process, although it would not be necessary for her to be emancipated to prevent the abortion. In Kansas, this process is called Petition for Rights of Majority. Your local county clerk will be able to direct you to the exact form to use. She doesn't need parental permission to be emancipated, so whether the mother or father don't support the decision is of no consequence. Essentially she'll have to present to the court that she's of sound mind and explain why she wants to be emancipated from her parents.

If I've fully answered your question, I'd appreciate a five-star rating. If not, please let me know how else I can assist you.

lawyerJ
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Lawyer