Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In Arizona with regard to a family law case (Divorce) if…

Customer Question
In Arizona with regard...

In Arizona with regard to a family law case (Divorce) if there is a property award that should not have occurred because the property is seperate non communal (Gift) and I have filed a notice of appeal. Can the opposing party still take possession by filing for contempt? My understanding was once a notice of appeal is filed that stops property awards until the appeal is heard?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just that it was a vehicle. And I have affidavits and proof it was a GIFT.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/10/2017
Family Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

An appeal divests the Superior Court of jurisdiction to consider any issues related to the appeal. If the issue is a contempt action concerning the distribution of community property, and that distribution is on appeal, then the court is without jurisdiction to consider the contempt until the court of appeals rules and remands the case back to the Superior Court.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!