Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My mother is threatening legal action against me because I

Customer Question
denied her visitation with my...
My mother is threatening legal action against me because I denied her visitation with my daughter
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
10/9/2017
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. You don't have anything to worry about. Unless the court has granted your mother guardianship over the child, then she will not have any rights to the child at all. Sometimes, grandparents think that because they are related to a grandchild that they automatically have rights to the grandchild. Unfortunately, the law does not give them rights to the grandchild. Only the parents have rights to the grandchild. Accordingly, the only way that you would be able to take legal action against you is if she went to the court and requested guardianship over the child. This means that she would have to prove that you were an unfit parent. If she's not willing to go through that or if she cannot prove that you an unfit parent, then she has no right to access your child. Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer