Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is a mother who lives with her daughter and son in law

considered a tenet...
Is a mother who lives with her daughter and son in law considered a tenet an can that mother in law get a invection note to move out . In 30 days the daughter an son in law ask that mother to move in one year ago with her 15 year old son ..
Also they told 15 year old to change school and live with them .. also have a text message that he the should feel as tho the house is his to then next day get a note from his sister she is 29 that he has to be out in 30 days he is 15 years old ..
We lived with them for a year an move with them from MA to SC . They ask us to come with them.. my 15 yr old he is having a hard time now an is really up set .at his sister an brother in law for doing this to him .. changing schools again ..
What should I do ? Can they do this to us just throw us on the street .
10/7/2017
Loren, Lawyer
Any person, relative or stranger, who establishes residency in the real property of another without a written lease, has the legal status of a month to month tenant. This is true whether or not rent is agreed to be paid.
The relative’s tenancy CAN be legally terminated by providing statutory notice.
If the relative refuses to leave, the owner must go to court with a petition for a forcible detainer, obtain a writ of ejectment and place it with the sheriff for execution. The sheriff will then come to the property and force the relative to move out.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this, rather than planning for the inevitable move.
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for your time ... I was just wondering because I came home from work to type more pined to my bedroom door not signed nothing.. after they bribiged my 15 with video a game to change school again ..plus I have a tex from them tell him the house is as much his he can do what he wants .. They are just playing head games with a 15 year old and I think they shouldn't be able to due so
They have to follow legal process. Bribing a 15yr old will have no effect.
That what I thought not just a piece of paper tape to a bedroom door .. I am waiting for the legal papers then I will responded .
Good luck. I hope it goes ok.
Thank you have a great day ... family like them no need for enemies. Lol .. cuts down on my Xmas list ..
Exactly!
Loren, Lawyer