Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Going through a post divorce child support case and need…

Customer Question
Going through a post...

Going through a post divorce child support case and need advice about what legal documents are required to determine support

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Lake county indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

One. not comfortable with

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My ex wife obtained counsel and is requesting copies of my checking account statements. and this has never been requested until i got remarried. can they use my new wifes income to increase child support?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
this is the form requested
10/6/2017
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Your new wife's income is not relevant to child support and cannot be used to increase support. This is because your new wife doesn't have a legal obligation to support you child from another relationship.

However, your ex-wife does have a right to request any and all financial information in order to show your total financial picture. She can request bank statements if she's trying to prove that you have additional income other than what your paychecks show. That form is provided by the county to help calculate child support, and there's nothing in it that's not appropriate. You just don't have to provide your new wife's information.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

if my entire financial picture is shown on my checking account statements, that will also show my new wifes spending so how will that figure into my child support payments > what is considered NOT APPROPRIATE?

It wouldn't be appropriate to ask for your current wife's pay stubs. If the two of you didn't have a shared bank account, it wouldn't be appropriate to ask for her separate accounts. But joint accounts are fair game, even if it will necessarily show your wife's transactions. That information cannot be used to change your support, even if they have it.

Why was I charged $42 this said it was a free service

Posting a question is free. By posting a question, you agree to pay for an answer. It's part of the terms and conditions and why the site requests a credit card number. It's also the reason experts are able to answer questions - we can't afford to work for free.

Regardless, the terms and conditions also allow you to request a refund through customer service if you are not satisfied for any reason. I'm sorry that you did not feel it was worth paying me for the time I spent answering your questions today.