Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My brother and his fiancé live in Hutchinson county Texas.

Customer Question
Hello! My brother and...

Hello! My brother and his fiancé live in Hutchinson county Texas. They will be getting married in Mexico April 2018. They have asked my husband to officiate the wedding. He is not a minister. How can we make this happen?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No we live in Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Your husband can be ordained online by and online ordination organization, such as the Universal Life Church and officiate the wedding. However, the symbolic wedding with ministers, shamans, or us “ordained” ministers-officiants are not legal marriages in Mexico. Legal marriages in Mexico are only performed by a JUDGE or minister of peace form the Mexican REGISTRO CIVIL.

So, your husband can officiate the ceremony in Mexico, but they will need to be "legally" married before, either in the US with your husband, or in Mexico with a legal officiant.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Thank you! Now how do I cancel this subcription
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!
I am not an employee of JA. Contact customer care if you have payment or subscription questions.

You are so very welcome. I am glad I could help you.